Selling your LS3/5As
I am often contacted by someone with a pair of LS3/5As who wishes to sell them seeking some tips on how best to go about it and also wondering how much they are worth.
How much are they worth?
There isn't a guide to secondhand LS3/5A prices and the market does fluctuate. However all LS3/5As and related parts are of interest to buyers internationally. The price will depend on their age (older is often more expensive), condition, rarity, the manufacturer, their provenance and demand at the time.
A completed listings search on ebay under LS3/5A will soon give an idea of the current value of all but the rare pairs.
As I write (May 2012) there are several recent sales listed (all prices in GBP £):
Of the 15 ohm LS3/5As, pairs of Rogers have been selling for between £700 and £900, a pair of Audiomasters sold for £840, Spendors for £600 and a pair of Chartwells for £1320
Pairs of 11 ohm Rogers have been selling for about £700
Where can I sell them?
- The majority of LS3/5A sales happen on ebay and listing your speakers there ensures that they can be seen by a wide international audience.
- Or you can list them in other online classifieds like Gumtree or Exchange & Mart in the UK.
- Some Hi Fi dealers will be interested but you won't be offered as much as you would get through a private sale. They have to make a profit when they re-sell.
- The LS3/5A yahoogroup has over 1500 members worldwide and posting a message will always find someone interested and willing to make you an offer.
Some tips for getting the best price.
- If you are listing on ebay or in a classified advertisement use lots of good quality photographs. Buyers may not be able to inspect before they buy and you really cannot include too many pictures.
- Include legible photographs of any inspection stickers and the labels on the back of the cabinets.
- Consider opening them up and taking photographs of the interior including the crossover and B110 drive unit to show buyers their internal condition and that they are not fakes.
- Include their serial numbers in the listing.
- Offer them for sale internationally and sort out the shipping costs and packing before you list them.
- If you know their history include as many details as possible.
- If you have original receipts, documentation and the box it will help the value. Make sure you say this in the listing and include photographs..
- Read my page on tips about buying a used pair of LS3/5As to see what buyers are looking for.
Would you like to make a donation to www.ls35a.com? Perhaps the site has helped you with information about your speakers or to repair some LS3/5As or to sell a pair for a good price?
For ten years www.ls35a.com has been completely free to use, without any advertising and independent of any commercial interests. I would like to keep it that way. Funding for www.ls35a.com comes from myself and from the generosity of donors. Our policy is to support everyone who is interested in this little BBC monitor loudspeaker including companies who make the LS3/5A or related products. Andrew Drummond has very kindly donated the cost of the domain name registration since the web site started and I have paid the hosting cost.
The volume of traffic through the site continues to grow and with about 35,000 visitors a year who make about 150,000 clicks and 10Gb of downloads each month, I can't use a free or home hosting package but have to subscribe to a business package.
Donations to www.ls35a.com are entirely voluntary and if you don't wish to make one then you are still most welcome to use the site. If you would like to make a donation then please send it to me at my Paypal email address.